Pages

Wednesday 7 September 2016

A Dull Post

photo from lightstock.com
I warn you in advance, this blog post is going to be potentially dull, because it’s about blog posting. How often should I post? What should I say? And how much is too much?
How often should I post?
I have given up posting regularly to my blog. Yes, yes, I know, I’m a bad author. I should be posting regularly—I know I should. But I decided some time ago that I physically couldn’t do it. I work full time and run my own business, and then there’s all the writing stuff.
Mum, wife, daughter. It’s hectic.
So I decided to cut myself some slack and prioritise. I’m sorry, blogging world. Attending my child’s school assembly every week is more important than posting to my blog.
But I do post regularly to other blogs. Like this one. Thanks to ACW I get to have a voice, at least once a month.
What should I say?
There have been times when revising a post that I’ve thought, that’s just plain boring. Hey, you might be thinking that now! Worse than these times are the instances where I’ve thought my posts have been on the verge of unreadable—mostly because it’s a mish-mash of thoughts I’ve jotted down on screen.
It makes sense to me, but probably not to anyone else. So, some time ago, I decided all my posts need a look over, just like my manuscripts. I also decided that it didn’t make any difference if I was mainstream, off-centre, or plain controversial in what I said—so long as it was edited, it was worthy.
How much is too much?
If I was bored with my posts, everyone else would have been too. So I stopped posting unless I had something thought-provoking, or interesting to say (please note—this may not be one of those times, but there are always exceptions when it comes to dullness).
I would rather have fewer, more interesting posts, than a whole lot of mediocre ones - at least, that is my future goal.
And on that note I leave you with this visual. Was your eye drawn to the post with the star? That basically says it all.

 
(At least this is one I can call a 'star' post ;-) )

Rose, who holds a Bachelor of Arts Degree, was born in North Queensland, Australia. Her childhood experiences growing up in a small beach community would later provide inspiration for her first novel, Back to Resolution. Beyond Resolution and A New Resolution are the second and third books in the Resolution series.
Back to Resolution won the Bookseller’s Choice award at the 2012 CALEB Awards, while A New Resolution won the 2013 CALEB Prize for Fiction. She has also released The Greenfield Legacy, a collaborative novel, written in conjunction with three other outstanding Australian authors, and has recently released the standalone novel, Ehvah After.
Her novels are inspired by the love of her coastal home and desire to produce exciting and contemporary stories of faith for women. Rose resides in Mackay, North Queensland with her husband and son.
Visit Rose at: https://rosedee.com/

9 comments:

  1. LOL Rose - love your 'starred' post :) I have been pondering that if I have a guest post, I always make time to do it. I do need to give my own blogs more priority but I tend to agree - quality over quantity and it's not always possible to 'do it all'. Thanks for your fun post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is impossible to do it all, but sometimes I do wish I could fit more in - but then I would never rest. Rest is vital. :-) Thanks, Jeanette. It was meant to be a fun 'post', what you write when you, literally, have nothing to write about. lol.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Rose, for your honest, fun post! It takes time to write worthwhile, interesting blogs, that's for sure. Always a tough decision whether to put time into doing this or to focus on other things. I do write a weekly blog of my own, which takes quite a few hours each week to do, but for me, my blogs are part of my ministry, so I have chosen to make them a priority--and to try to come up with different, worthwhile things to say each week. Hope I succeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog certainly is a ministry, Jo-Anne - one which I have many times been blessed by. I feel the same about my Book Fun articles. I put a lot of prayer, time, and energy into them. I know the Lord uses ALL my work, but there are some mediums you just KNOW He has pinpointed for you.

      Delete
  3. I now feel less guilty for doing the same thing. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now I feel less guilty for posting this. :-) Thank you, Lora. I did wonder if I may be seen as a bit slack for writing about this. Good to see there are others out there like me.

      Xo Blessings to you

      Delete
  4. Love the way you think, Rose! Blogging everyday isn't for me, either. I enjoy writing for ACW, but that's about it. And I don't feel guilty. There are plenty of other bloggers out there doing a fabulous job, like the ones who've commented already :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely, Andrea. I truly believe it's not where I'm best. But there are wonderful bloggers out there who I follow/love/gain so much from. I guess I'm getting better at knowing my limitations. :-)

      Delete
  5. LOL Rose - I'm also blogging less this year than I have in previous years. Quality is more important than quantity :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.