Pages

Wednesday 31 August 2016

DEVOTION: (In)Secure



The Lord appeared to him from afar, saying, "I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore I have drawn you with loving kindness." Jeremiah 31: (NASB) 


I tend to do a lot of travel, both domestically and internationally for work. And I love it. Really love it because I get to see new places and meet new people and people are fascinating, aren’t they? I could sit and people watch for hours, which I often do, choosing to do majority of my writing in cafes because you know, coffee. And coffee is manna from heaven, just in liquid form, so how can you pass that up? But I digress, so let’s get back to the people.

On my various trips I’ve been able to observe people in their natural habitat and the one thing I encounter almost everywhere I go is insecurity. A lot of people are insecure, and I mean A LOT of people. It doesn’t matter their background or whether they are rich, poor, tall, short, an executive or a cleaner, insecurity has managed to hook its claws into so many people and put doubt into their hearts and minds. It’s sad. It’s also very familiar because for so long, that was me. Occasionally, it still is me.

Growing up, I wasn’t really good at any one thing. I didn’t do great at school, wasn’t good at sports, wasn’t creative and found that friends came and went. I was never super cool or someone that drew a crowd. Am I amusing? Yes. Quirky? Yes. All-round awesome chic? Most definitely. (My modesty and humility is mind blowing, I know) but I was never that girl that stood out in a crowd. Throw in the absence of a Prince Charming (I’m convinced he is stuck in a tree somewhere trying to rescue some injured bird because he is just amazing like that), and it all made me feel somewhat lacking.

But then, Jesus.

It took me a while to really grasp God’s love for me. I still struggle with it, and I probably always will, but I’ll take it. I’ll take it because it is where my insecurity quietens down. In His love, I find my worth and identity. Where society tells me that I need to look a certain way, His love tells me that I am beautiful as I am. Where the world tells me that I need to act in a certain way, or achieve wealth and prestige, His love tells me that I need just be still because I have inherited all the riches of the earth through Jesus. Where the world, and occasionally the church, tells me that I am incomplete until I’m married and have my own family, He tells me that His love is more than enough for me. And it is. His love is more than enough.

Do I still get insecure? Yes. I think we all do, really, because some voices are louder than others and at times those voices, the ones that try to convince us that we need to fit the mold, are really loud and they make it hard to hear His gentle whisper. But all we need to do is sit still at His feet, and wait. He will turn up. He always does and when He does, His love will wash away everything else. We just need be still, lean in and listen to His sweet, quiet voice.

We all wear different, and at times multiple, hats; mother father, sibling, spouse, writer, publisher, editor, cashier, carer, receptionist, and so on and so on. The list is endless and each hat comes with it's own demands; each hat brings with it an insecurity of some sort that starts to niggle it's way into our thoughts. And that is okay, let it come, but let it go just as quickly. Let it go and hold onto the truth, and that is that you are His Masterpiece and you are enough. You are His beloved and He smiles down from Heaven at you.

So here is my prayer for you, for me, for all of us; I pray that we feel God’s love in a new and profound way, a way that changes us from the inside out. I pray that His love just overflows into our heart and spirit that we can’t help be be overwhelmed. And I pray that as we receive His perfect love, we can’t help but go forth and pour it out onto a world that is hurting and broken.


My Photo

Leila Halawe is a Sydney based coffee loving nonfiction writer and blogger. She has published a short devotional, Love By Devotion, shares her life via her blog page Looking In. You can connect with her via Facebook at Leila Halawe Author and via Twitter at Leila Halawe


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your lovely, heartfelt message, Leila. Yes, God's love is sure what makes the difference for us all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo-Anne! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Bless you!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.