Pages

Tuesday 18 October 2016

Getting to know you with Christine Dillon

Today we are introducing Christine Dillon. Thanks Christine for telling us a little about yourself.


1. Can you tell us a little about yourself?
Although born in Australia, my missionary parents returned to Asia soon after I was born. This meant that I only lived in Australia every fifth year until I was 17. I attended primary school in Malaysia and high-school in the Philippines. At 17, I returned to finish my schooling here and then studied physiotherapy. After working as a physiotherapist and Bible College, I returned to Asia in 1999. I work as a church planter in Taiwan. I now write on my airport forms that I’m a ‘storyteller’ as we introduce people to Jesus through Bible storytelling. I also train others in this area.
2. When you were a child did you have a favourite book or books?
I was a real bookworm and was limited to ‘two books a day!’ Enid Blyton books especially the ‘Adventure’ series; Silver Brumby books; Narnia; LM Montgomery especially ‘Anne & Emily’ series and “Blue Castle"  (Jenny here. I also love Enid Blyton and did love the adventure series also the Narnia books.)

3. Do you have a favourite Genre to both read and write?
Reading - I like crime, thriller and historical or biography.
Writing - I haven’t written enough to have a favourite. I did think if I ever wrote that I’d most likely write biography. That hasn’t happened yet. I certainly never thought I’d attempt fiction.
4. Did you have favourite authors growing up who have influenced you?
I read many books but not too many stand out. I wasn’t reading to learn about writing, I was just enjoying reading. 
The books mentioned in Q2 + DE Stevenson and Neville Shute - their gentle characterisations. 
5. When did you know you wanted to be an author?
I’m not sure that I ever wanted to. Having ‘been’ one for seven years  (in terms of having something published), I’m still not sure I want to be one. It’s a heavy responsibility and I don’t like how it changes the way some people treat me. 
6. How did you go about becoming an author?
My first book was about 1-to-1 discipleship. It was written for several reasons. One was frustration because the course about it wasn’t receiving much interest. I decided to write the course information down. I originally planned just to give people the file if they asked me questions. It wasn’t my idea to have it published - the OMF editor, suggested we try for a publisher. 

Looking back though I can see that there was a practice book (for Taiwanese) that I self printed about 200 copies, three volumes of poetry (thank you gifts to prayer supporters). In between, 1-2-1 discipleship (Christian Focus) and Telling the Gospel Through Story (IVP), there was also another non-fiction that hasn’t been published. 

In terms of fiction - I wrote two ‘practice’ Biblical novels before the one I’m working on. I thought that the Biblical ones combined my oral storytelling with practicing dialogue, plotting ...
7. If you were not a writer what would you like to be?
I’ll happily stick with being a storyteller (oral Bible stories), trainer and introducing others to Jesus.
8. Outside reading and writing what do you like to do?
Hiking, photography, stamp collecting and genealogy (love history and the detection that is needed)
9. Do you have a place you love to visit?
Many places - but mostly places linked with history (like Europe) or hiking (New Zealand, Australia, anywhere really…)
10. If you could have a meal with 3 living people who would you choose and why?
Living people is hard. I’d like to talk with Christians who have suffered but remain contagious in their love for Jesus. Someone like Helen Roseveare. They’d probably all be missionaries. Or someone from a totally different background who has been faithful under persecution - a Muslim background believer or someone like that.
Finally can you tell us about your current books and/or any that will
be coming out soon. Also where we can find you on the web.
Been working on a novel for about 4 years. Learning the craft and also educating myself on marketing, editing ….along the way. It is currently called, “Grace in Strange Disguise” - daughter of successful prosperity preacher is diagnosed with cancer, aged twenty-eight. 

Hoping it will be ‘out’ by late 2017. Am delaying it by about 12 months because I want to actually be in Australia for a physical book launch (at least for this first one). 

www.storyingthescriptures.com for all things Bible storytelling. Facebook also has a ‘closed’ group (you have to ask permission to join) for those interested in getting in to storytelling ‘storying the scriptures’

New author website for things literary - www.storytellerchristine.com 

8 comments:

  1. Good to 'get to know you' more, Christine. Looking forward to reading your novel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Christine and Jenny, for this interesting interview. Good to 'meet' you all over again this way, Christine--and great to have you at the Omega Writers' Group earlier this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jenny for introducing us to Christine. What a fascinating portfolio of books you've written, Christine. All the very best with finishing your current work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for your encouragement. I wish I could be with you for the conference. I am planning towards maybe getting there next year. Where will it be held?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your thoughts, Christine. Has made me even more sad won't be at the Omega Conference this year to meet you - first one I've missed. Helen Roseveare's story impacted me some years ago. A wonderful eample of God's loving grace and a Christian's faithfulness when under horrible persecution.

      Delete
    2. I won't be there this year - but will try and arrange my holiday so I can be there in 2017

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Christine. We talked for hours when we met earlier this year, but I still learned some things from this interview!

    It would be great if you could make it to next year's conference. I don't think a venue has been decided yet - we'll probably find out at this year's conference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Christine for visiting and for all who have encouraged her.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.