Pages

Friday 13 July 2018

Why Should I Write?

Keona Tann | @ACWriters



I've been a long-term journal writer, I've always found it so therapeutic to pour my heart into those lined notebooks. During my illness the stuff that was brewing inside of me threatened to take me to a very very very dark place and I found it was simply a must to pour it all out. There were times that I knew I had to destroy those words because I never ever wanted to read or acknowledge them again! If I didn’t feel a need to destroy the dark moment I can now look back over those painful words and praise God at how much He has done.

For me the 'leap' between a closet journal writer and a blogger was a long process and came about kinda by accident. Over 12 years ago I thought I could share my struggle with endometriosis to encourage others and so I started writing about it. Then my computer ‘died’ and I lost all my writing. I figured that I wasn't a writer anyway so that had just been a silly idea. But at the end of 2015, I felt the desire to write return. I entered every competition possible during the first half of 2016 but didn't have any success. I chatted to a writer friend towards the end of 2016 and she suggested I could start a blog. I had been reluctant as I wasn't sure I had the energy levels to commit and I really didn't know if I wanted to go public in calling myself a writer. Therefore, I just 'sat' on the idea.

Then on the 27th of November 2016 I attended a writing workshop. I'm not sure if I misunderstood the blurb of what I had signed up for, or if it was a huge big push from God but suddenly I found myself in this workshop creating a blog site. Now of course I could have closed it down and again told myself: 'don't be silly, you're not a writer, why should you write? who would want to listen to your ramblings?' but something had been ignited in my heart. Suddenly I realised that the thing I'd been resisting for SO long was actually something I was called to do! I was given a mission statement by God:

I desire to impact the world through the words I share. I long to enrich, empower and encourage others whilst delivering my stories with empathy and understanding.
“He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what he has done and be amazed. They will put their trust in the LORD.” Psalms 40:3 NLT



I decided that November day that I would venture upon this journey called writing and allow God to take my seemingly small efforts and turn them into something truly extraordinary. I promised myself I would walk along the unknown path and rely upon God. I've placed my trust in God to turn a desire into a destiny. I'm allowing God to interrupt my schedule; my to do lists; and plans so that He can reveal something far greater than I could possibly imagine.

"Believing for something God put on your heart is trusting that He will bring it to pass in the way He wants to when He wants to. It’s also having the humility to understand our purpose isn't for our personal elevation, rather for the promotion of the Kingdom." Kristen Dalton

Why should I write? Well I decided that if my story only touched and helped 1 person it was well worth the uncomfortable-sick-feeling I get sharing my heart. To be a writer isn't an easy path in life and I know that there will be many people who simply don't get what I'm trying to convey but I'm trying to be ok with that. Because I believe God is calling me to write then I've just got to trust that He will get the right words out and into the right hands to read them.

So today, my dear reader, know that I've given you a piece of my heart here today. I pray you're encouraged by my story. If you're also called to write, then PLEASE do it! Don't wait another minute, quick get those fingers swiftly pouring out your own story. Remember that:

"Your story could be the key that unlocks someone else's prison. Don't be afraid to share it." Unknown

Now go and write, write, write!
Many blessings, Keona

About Keona:
I’ve lived most of my life in Tasmania, which is one of the beautiful Australian states. Deliriously happily married to my college sweetheart for over 20 years, we consider ourselves extremely blessed to be raising 2 wonderful teenagers. Hubby and I have also been long time child sponsors with Compassion so we have overseas kids!
I struggled with illness and disease for most of my life. The biggest battles were: endometriosis for 28 years and adrenal/chronic fatigue which was severe for 28 months. In September 2016 healing was declared over my life, praise God, this set me on a path of deep inner healing, restoration and transformation. My passion to write was reignited and I wrote out a mission statement:
“He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what he has done and be amazed. They will put their trust in the LORD.” Psalm 40:3 (NLT)
I desire to impact the world through the words I share. I long to enrich, empower and encourage others whilst delivering my stories with empathy and understanding.
In my new-found boldness I’ve started a weekly blog which you can find at: https://keonajtann.wordpress.com/
Many Blessings, Keona

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.