I have been going through a bit of a dry patch lately. Life has been getting in the way of writing. I’ve read so many articles about making sure you protect your writing time, getting up early or staying up late, and any number of other tips for writers.
To be honest, right now I’ve been too tired to get up early or stay up late. My lunch hour has been spent supervising my younger son with his school work. After school time is spent ferrying kids to activities. I’m exhausted.
In order to get my next book finished, I’ve given my kids the following list of things they can do to help me. My kids are 11 and 13.
- Make me a cup of tea when I ask for one, or when you think I might enjoy one
- Remind me to take my laptop with me when I’m going to be waiting at after school activities
- Don’t have the TV up too loud
- Help with jobs around the house so I can’t use it as an excuse
- When I ask for ideas, give me your best ones, you guys come up with better names than I do!
- Keep encouraging me – it means a lot that you believe in me
- Listen to me when I read you snippets and give me feedback
- Remind me to stop and take a break so I don’t get too tired
My kids are my greatest fans, and also my greatest distraction! Any ideas for things I should add to this list? Am I the only one who does this?
Swallow Me, NOW! was published in 2014.
Follow her writing journey at www.melissawrites.com.au and www.melissagijsbers.com